Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tips to Perform Under Pressure


Interview with Olympic Medalist, Bryon Wilson

A few weeks ago, while skiing at Deer Valley, I met up with 2010 Olympic Medalist, Bryon Wilson. I thought it would be the perfect time to ask him a few questions. How did Bryon do it? How did Bryon perform at near perfection under such intense Olympic pressure?

Bryon Wilson Story

Bryon Wilson has a story that most kids dream about. In 2010, after skiing moguls at the top of his game, he was given a World Cup start. He made the best of his opportunity and landed two 2nd place finishes and a spot on the 2010 US Freestyle Olympic Team. He took this momentum and his confidence to the Olympics where he laid down the run of his life and took home the bronze medal.


Q/A - Tips to Perform Under Pressure

While on the ski lift, between training runs, I asked him a few questions.

Q: What was it like to like to walk into the Olympic Stadium?

A: "As I stood in line to go in, I could hear what sounded like thunder. I was overwhelmed with excitement when I walked into the stadium of 80,000 fans. It was louder than I expected. It was more than I could ever imagine. I just took in every moment. It was something I dreamed about since I was little and it was real, I was at the Olympics"

Q: How did you treat your Olympic run?

A: "I know this sounds lame, but just like any other World Cup. I wanted to lay down my best run."

Q: For real, take me through what you were really thinking and feeling before your finals run?

A: "I knew I had trained 10 years for this moment and trusted in my training. I visualized my run and had confidence in my abilities. I let the nerves go."


Q: What three tips you could give others who have to perform under intense pressure in sports, at work, or in life?

A: "I would tell them...

1. "Believe in your abilities - when pressure mounts you have to believe in what got you to that point, believe in your skills."

2. "Visualize success - I saw myself finishing my run, the best run I had ever had."

3. "Take a deep breath - this will help calm your nerves, than charge the course or life challenge with confidence."


Q: Walk me through what you felt when you finished your run.

A: "I skied across the line and felt the biggest adrenaline rush. I put my hands in the air, grabbed the American flag, and just enjoyed every moment. When I finally got to my parents, I felt like I was on top of the world. They had believed in me and sacrificed a lot for my ski career. That moment was a moment I will never forget."


As we got off the ski lift, he said, "Thanks Burke, let's go rip!"

Bryon Wilson and his Olympic story should help each of us believe a little more in ourselves and our abilities. When the intense pressure of life comes upon us remember what Bryon says, "Take a deep breath and believe!."


No comments: