Monday, May 14, 2012

101 Goals - Goal Setting with Focus


During my first year of business school, one of my business mentors gave me a challenge. 

The Challenge

He told me, "Burke as you pursue excellence in business and life, remember to enjoy the journey. To help you do this, I want you to write down 101 goals with the assumption that you have all the time and money in the world." He told me to be descriptive with each goal, where would I be and what would I be doing. He also told me he would give me two weeks to complete my list of goals.

101 Goals 

At first thought, not too hard right?, 101 goals, easy. I started to write down my goals. It was tougher than I expected. After writing down 25, I was pretty satisfied with what I would accomplish. I continued to write, 48, 49, 50. I divided the project into multiple writing sessions. After about 10 days and a lot of reordering, I had my 101 goals. 

Go and Get Them Done

I reported back to my business mentor with my 101 goals. We discussed a lot of my them. He told me something I will never forget, "Now Burke, go and get them done." He told me that I would probably change some of the goals as the focus of my life would shift, but that I should always have the 101 goals in front of my mind as I set out accomplish the vision and the mission of my life.

He said, "You will be surprised on where you will go and what you with accomplish with this added focus."

Since that original challenge, I have accomplished many of the 101 goals. Of course, I still have many more to go.

Below are a few of the 101 goals I have worked hard to accomplish:





No comments: